Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Psalm for Sunday, November 11, 2018


Reflections
 
Psalm 146:  7, 8-9, 9-10   (Read) 

“The Lord gives food to the hungry, sets captives free.”

 













This Sunday's Psalm sings of the promises of the Lord.  
Just as Elijah promised the widow in this Sunday's first
reading that she would not go hungry (1 Kings 17:16),
so does the Psalm promise that the Lord will sustain
the widow and the fatherless.   

But the Lord’s promises go far beyond flour and oil.  
The Psalm contains encouraging words not only for
poor widows, but for each of us as well.
 
God's promises are fulfilled in the person of Jesus,
who carries out the promises of the Psalm – He sets us
captives free and gives sight to us so we can truly see.
And Jesus sustains us -- with real food and drink.
 
“The Lord raises up those who were bowed down.” 
We are all bowed down because of our brokenness
at one time or another.  And where do we turn to be
lifted up and made whole again?   We turn to the Lord. 
Who else has the grace and the mercy to heal us?

Have we not been under pressure from the evil one
to commit sin?  Have we not been held captive at
one time or another by our sins?  And do we not
experience a hunger for the Lord and for a deeper faith?

That same power that gives sight to the blind and
raises up those who are bowed down is available
to lift us up away from whatever imprisons us. 
All it takes is to receive Jesus as our Lord and Savior,
and open our hearts to Him.

So we can pray this Psalm, not only in honor of the
heavenly Father, but also in honor of Christ, whom God
exalted.  And having done that, we can join with the
psalmist and sing, “The Lord shall reign forever;
our God, through all generations."

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist promises that the Lord will secure justice for the oppressed
and set captives free.   In what ways have you been imprisoned, and how
has the Lord set you free?

2.  The Psalm says the Lord gives food to the hungry.  Describe how the Lord
has given you real food and drink to satisfy your hunger for a closer relationship
with Him.



2 comments:

  1. J Kim7:55 PM

    God is good.
    God is good to me.
    God is good at being God.
    And today is yet another page in our great love story.

    These words are penned by a wonderful Protestant sister, Lysa TerKeurst, in her book Uninvited.

    I love it when a brother or sister’s talents and abilities are so clearly God-given and touch my heart. The power of the written word pierces my soul. In 1839, English author Edward Bulwer-Lytton wrote, “The pen is mightier than the sword.” He might have been referring to strength of communication over violence, but his wisdom still rings true today. The enemy is out there fiercely seeking a soul to devour, but we have the word and the Word to protect us.

    As my self-esteem takes its rocky path of ups and downs, I am comforted by my communication with God, the Father. At times, I am most empowered to approach His throne directly. Sometimes, I love the idea of intercession. Jesus mediates for us as we are reminded in the Second Reading. Often, I love praying the rosary as my way of begging for intercession; Jesus cannot turn down His mother’s requests.

    Through written and verbal communication (prayer) with the Lord, He feeds my hungry soul and comforts me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I am held captive and imprisoned by the evil spirit, not knowing what to do, first I turn to the Lord and simply I lift my spirit unto him.
    In due time He makes me whole again by his grace and mercy. Even though there are many times I experience a hunger for the Lord and for deeper faith, also I repeat the circle of sins that imprison and oppress me. I know
    that there is no one else I can turn to, only Jesus who can forgive and set me free.

    Lately my heart was heavily weighed down due to my wrongdoings and unfaithfulness to the Lord. I was not submissive, and I did not put worldly desires behind me.
    I have been living my life as a person who lost the direction of life. I have felt like a lost sheep or a prodigal son wandering around in alien countries.

    Finally I was able to return to my Lord. His spirit stirs my deepest self.
    He is the way, and I sing his praise like the psalmist. He gives food to the hungry, sets captives free. He provides his body to eat and blood to drink to nourish me spiritually. So that I can have a intimate relationship with Jesus because He is in me, I in Him.

    Praise the Lord ! The Lord reigns forever!


    ReplyDelete