Monday, September 24, 2018

Psalm for Sunday, September 30, 2018


Reflections

Psalm 19: 8, 10, 12-13, 14   (Read)

“The precepts of the Lord give joy 
to the heart.”

This Sunday's Psalm celebrates the Law of
the Lord, first given to Moses on Mt Sinai. 
But it also tells us what God’s Law reveals
about our Creator, and about the joy that is
stirred up in our hearts when we follow the
Lord’s commands.

If I am to imitate the divine life, everything
I need to know is found in God’s Law.  Our
psalmist David shows me that the Law of
Moses is an instruction manual for life.  
I learn that obeying the Law does not prevent
me from being happy or limit me in a negative way.  
Instead, obeying the Law brings much reward.
 
I am kept from willful sins by the Law.  Obey the Law
and I will not be controlled by sin and instead will be
able to walk as a God fearing person.  I may think
of statutes as something intended to control me or
restrict me.   But as our psalmist explains, the Law
of the Lord does the opposite – it is in fact a source
of joy, something to be desired.  This is so because
the Law gives me wisdom and provides me with
something I can trust.

“His ordinances are true, all of them just.”
Far more than a set of rules that I cannot hope to follow,
God’s commandments refresh my soul.  They give
‘wisdom to the simple,’ they are more 'desirable than
gold, sweeter also than honey.'

It is through the inspired Word of God that I know His
commandments and through this Psalm that I know
His Law is a source of refreshment, a source of joy.  
His statutes do not bind me, they set me free.

The reading of the Law should not make me sad, but
be a source of rejoicing.   Give me ears to hear!

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our Psalm Response this Sunday is, "The precepts of the Lord
give joy to the heart."   Do you believe that the Lord's commandments
can be a source of joy, instead of a set of rules and restrictions?   Explain.

2.  Our psalmist says that the 'decree of the Lord gives wisdom to the simple.' 
Describe how God's Law inspires you to celebrate God's perfection and helps
you to imitate the divine life.



1 comment:

  1. J Kim9:28 PM

    On an intellectual level, I perfectly understand that following the Lord's laws should give me freedom and joy in my life. As David describes, "...the statutes of the Lord are true, all of them just; more desirable than gold ... sweeter also than honey..." So why is it so hard to embrace these laws with my whole heart? What could possibly hold me back, even when I know God's wisdom is embedded in His commands?

    My own flesh easily takes over, moment to moment throughout my day. Should I wake up early and meet God for pre-dawn coffee... or sleep in? Should I give my cash to the stranger begging on the street corner or save it for a Starbucks for myself? Should I sacrifice my time and call that family member who will want to talk and talk and talk in an attempt to cure her loneliness?

    So many choices on any given day. Perhaps I don't often encounter life-changing moral dilemmas, but every time I make little decisions to act in a way that Jesus would, I grow more like Him. And any time that I choose not to, I do not progress in my faith.

    I am strangely comforted by a passage in Philippians that corresponds with our first reading. Philippians 1:18 says, 'But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice..." The way that I apply this teaching to my life is that even when my heart isn't fully embracing a Godly gesture, I can behave in a Godly way. And the Lord will still use it for good. I was once told by a priest that it's okay to be just the hands and feet of Jesus. To truly have the heart of Jesus takes time and a supernatural dose of humility.

    I believe the precepts of the Lord bring joy, but I do not always find them easy to follow. In the Lord's perfect design, He even uses my half-hearted efforts to spread His love.

    ReplyDelete