Monday, August 20, 2018

Psalm for Sunday, August 26, 2018


Reflections

Psalm 34:  2-3, 16-17, 18-19, 20-21   (Read)

“Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.”

Once again we revisit this psalm of thanksgiving.  And for the third consecutive Sunday the Gospel challenges us to stop murmuring and stand up for our faith.

And the question is the same, “Do I truly believe
that Jesus is the living bread that came down
out of heaven and that whoever eats His flesh
and drinks His blood will remain in Him and
will live forever?”

Like Joshua, am I prepared to take a stand and
declare,  “As for me and my household we will
serve the Lord.”  Joshua commits himself and
his family to serve the Lord.  (Joshua 24:15)  
What better commitment would there be for me,
in our time?

Where would I go if I did not serve the Lord? 
To whom would I turn without my Lord and Savior,
Jesus Christ?  I thirst for Jesus, and I would be parched
and dry without Him in my life.  I must stop murmuring
about how difficult it may be to accept His words
and declare that Jesus is truly the Holy One of God.
Who else would hear my cry, as our psalmist says,
or confront evildoers on my behalf ?

“Many are the troubles of the just, but the Lord delivers
them all.”   We are all afflicted.  Our Spirit may be
crushed (as the psalmist says), but “God watches over
all our bones.”

“When the just cry out, the Lord hears them, and from all
their distress he rescues them.”  Who else would listen
to my cry?  If I cry out to the Lord, He will hear me and
rescue me from all distress.  Where else would I turn?

I have the Lord as my ally in my fight against the evil one.
And with Him on my side victory is certain.  “The Lord
confronts the evildoers, to destroy remembrance of them
from the earth.”

So the teaching is clear –  “Let His praise be ever in my mouth,
and let my soul glory in the Lord.”

Amen

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  If we truly serve the Lord, we can be confident that 'He will watch over
all our bones,' as the Psalmist says.  Explain how your faith has given you
peace and strength in the face of your afflictions.

2.  We are engaged in a spiritual battle with the evil one and his helpers,
but our Psalmist says that the Lord will confront evildoers and destroy them.
Tell of how you have been able to defeat evil with the Lord on your side.


No comments:

Post a Comment