Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Psalm for Sunday, July 22, 2018

Reflections

Psalm 23:  1-3, 3-4, 5, 6   (Read)

“The Lord is my shepherd.”


We are like sheep, and we look 
to the Good Shepherd to lead us 
beside still waters, and guide us 
along the right paths.  We fear 
no harm, because the Good 
Shepherd is at our side.  
Where else should we turn?

Our Lord restores us when we are 

down, protects us with his rod and 
his staff when we are threatened.  
We lack nothing when we trust in 
the Lord.  We fear nothing, even 
when our lives are at a low point 
spiritually or physically.

Our eyes are opened by our trust in the Lord;
we are led out of the dark valley of sin where 

we did fruitless things in secret.  Like our psalmist 
King David, we are anointed with oil by the Lord,
and we make a covenant with Him.

Our trust in the Lord is rewarded.  He sends His Son 

to save us, and His Spirit to live within us.  Surely 
goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our life.

“I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
The promise that King David speaks of in his final days 

is what Jesus died for.  Jesus reconciles us with the 
Father, and when Jesus is raised up, we too are resurrected.

Having been rescued by our Savior, and now counted 

among His obedient sheep, we are ready to do His will.
We are groomed to enter the Kingdom and to sit at the 

table that God sets for us.  If we believe in Him, we too 
shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection


1.   Our Psalm speaks of the Lord as our Shepherd. Do you believe 

you are one of His sheep?  What does it mean to be counted among His flock?

2.  Our psalmist says that the Lord anoints his head with oil.  Are you one of 

the Lord's anointed?   Describe how the Lord is using you as one of His anointed.

1 comment:

  1. The Lord is my shepherd.

    I close my eyes reciting, “The Lord is my shepherd," over and over again.
    I picture the scenery, “You make me lie down in green pastures and you lead me beside still waters.” Peace fills my heart. My soul is joyful.

    I ask myself, “Do you believe you are one of his sheep and one of His anointed? When I read Psalm 23 it gives me the calm assurance of God’s love and protection and peace and trust. I know He is always standing by my side leading me to the right paths.

    Whenever I look back at my life, those times of crisis when I faced a challenging circumstance, sickness, or a wounded relationship, I see that You have been always with me. You calmed down my anger, fears, and anxious heart. Instead, You told me to stand firm and fix my eyes on You who are faithful and merciful.

    You are truly my shepherd. You opened my eyes to see the truth. I will fear nothing. I will lack nothing because you are always at my side. You will not abandon me because I am one of your sheep and your anointed one. You are my Savior.

    I realize how important it is to be in your presence. I will dwell in your holy temple for the rest of my life. Joy and peace will overflow within me, and goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life. You will restore my soul. My trust in you will be rewarded. No evil spirits will attack me any more. I find my peace in you. You are my shepherd.

    ReplyDelete