Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Psalm for Sunday, June 10, 2018


Reflections

Psalm 130: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8   (Read)


"With the Lord, there is mercy and
fullness of redemption."


The psalmist calls to the Lord from 
“out of the depths” of his sin that 
has brought him near to death.  
He asks the Lord, “Hear my cry 
for mercy.”  He waits with longing
for the Lord, knowing that God 
forgives, and redeems us, 
even when we abandon Him.  
“My soul looks for the Lord 
more than sentinels for daybreak.”

There is no way we can please God, 

so long as we remain in the flesh.  
But God forgives us, gives us 'life in the spirit' 
and saves us from death (remember 'the wages of sin is death.')  
What greater act of forgiveness could there be than the sacrifice 
of the Son of God for our sins?  “But with you there is 
forgiveness, that you may be revered.”

We too await our redemption with hope, knowing that even

if we are dead in our sins, the Lord will revive us.  We too 
cry out to the Lord for forgiveness –  “Lord, may your ears
be attentive  to my cry for mercy.”

Redemption is a promise made to us, just as the Lord 

promised the Israelites that he would open their graves and 
put his Spirit within them, so they would live.

That same Spirit raised Jesus from the dead and will 

give life to our mortal bodies too.  This is that  
“full redemption” the psalmist talks about.

And so we too have come to believe and revere our Lord, 

as did the early believers.

Truly, 'Our God is an awesome God.'

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist sings about the promise of forgiveness that is 
available to us 
if we trust in the Lord.   Speak about how you are seeking out God's mercy.

2.  The Psalm talks about 'plenteous redemption,' or the 'fullness of redemption.'   

Tell what this means to you.



1 comment:

  1. With the Lord, there is mercy and fullness of redemption!

    There were times when like the psalmist I cried out to the Lord in the depth of despair over my mortal sins. I know there is no way we can please God as long as we keep sinning. Feeling sorry for my sins only increases my feelings of hopelessness.

    But His merciful and unfailing love for me forgives my sinful nature and redeems me. With His mercy He does not record my past sins. If God kept a record of my sins, who would stand? If I pray and ask for His forgiveness, I realize He is not holding anything against me.

    His lines of communication are always open so that I can go to Him whenever I am seeking God’s mercy and I feel despair. That’s why I put my hope and trust in God. Without doubt I realize there is full redemption available to me and I will be saved.

    I am entitled to live in eternity with Jesus, seeing Him face to face as a father and son. What a good feeling being unconditionally loved by our Father in Heaven who saves me from the wages of sin! Moreover, the psalmist assures me that there is mercy and fullness of redemption with the Lord. My part remains to be faithful and truthful.
    Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete