Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Psalm for Sunday, March 4, 2018

Reflections



“The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul.” 


















This Sunday's Psalm celebrates the law of the Lord, 
first given to the Israelites that day on Mt. Sinai in the 
desert when Moses received God's commandments.
(Exodus 20:1-17)
As the Psalm says, “The law of the Lord is perfect, 
refreshing the soul.”

But more than a set of rules that we cannot hope 
to follow, God’s commandments give us wisdom; 
they ‘rejoice our hearts; they are more desirable 
than gold, sweeter also than honey.’

The Word is the same way; even though we may be 
convicted by the Word, our Savior Lord Jesus came 
to fulfill the law and make us right with the Lord.
And just as the disciples came to believe in the 
scriptures when Jesus was raised, we too know 
Him as the ‘Word made flesh,’ the one who 
perfected the ‘wisdom of God.’

Our Psalmist David shows us that obeying the law 
does not prevent us from being happy.  Instead, 
obeying the Law “brings much reward.”
We may think of statutes as something intended 
to control us or restrict us, but as our psalmist 
explains, the law of the Lord is in fact a source of joy, 
something to be desired, because the law gives us 
wisdom and provides us with something
we can trust.

Today’s Psalm tells us about the joy that is stirred u
in our hearts when we follow the Lord’s commands.
“The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart.”
The Word and the statutes endure forever.
They are refreshing to the soul; they enlighten the eye. 
It is through the Word that we know His commandments
and through this Psalm that we know His law is a source 
of refreshment, a source of joy.
His statutes do not bind us, they set us free.  


Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist says that the ordinances of the Lord are 'sweeter than honey.'   

How can it be that, instead of being harsh, the commandments of the Lord 
are sweet to the taste?  Explain.

2.  Our psalmist says that the commandments of the Lord are a source of joy --

they 'rejoice the heart.'   Tell about how obeying the commandments can be a 
source of joy in your life.




3 comments:

  1. Rudy H7:08 PM

    The Bible isn’t just an instruction manual for us. It’s so much more than that. It’s God revealing Himself, His purposes, how He has dealt with people and His redemption story. How much more wonderful this is than a mere instruction manual.

    Since God does not reside in our constraint of time, His law is timeless and includes the gospel message and all of His revealed word to us, not just the law as it was revealed up to the time of David when he wrote this Psalm. It’s somewhat prophetic in that way.

    All of His precepts are always right and always leading people in righteousness and in the right path. They are always well meaning and for our well-being.
    Having His precepts written on our hearts leads us to a right mind which gives us joy. They satisfy our desire for morality.

    His commandment gives us discernment to see what’s earthly and what’s spiritual; what is of the world and what is of true value. It gives us understanding not only externally but internally–showing us our own sin.
    God’s instruction is more satisfying than any earthly pleasure we can imagine. This is the truth. Is this my estimation of God’s Word? I pray that it will be, and more and more so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a young person, I looked at the Ten Commandments as being negative and very restrictive. I considered the Catholic Church and its teachings as being overly restrictive.

    Now that I’m 80, and see all the trouble the rich and powerful men in Hollywood and in National politics have gotten into by not even trying to follow the Ten Commandments, I see how wrong I was. I should have seen the Ten Commandments as what they really are ……. a road map with clear instructions on how we get to eternal life with our Savior, Jesus Christ.
    At 80, with Carol, I’m very glad to be where I’m at, and hopefully where I’m going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering why our psalmist David says, “The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. ” And also I thought about what kind of world it would be like without God’s law and commandments in our lives.
    Since His law is the wisdom of God, without His law we will be blind persons who cannot see our way to get around. More than that we will lose our way to Heaven. Because God’s statutes
    are clearly guidelines and lights for our path to get near Him.

    As far as I am concerned God's precepts are not used as tools which could chain our hands and feet. On the contrary God’s commandments will set us free. That’s why they are more desirable than gold. His precepts and ordinances give joy, light to my heart, and are refreshing to my soul. With His ordinances I could enjoy God-given wisdom while on earth.

    God's commandments are like a mirror in front of me reflecting my sins. And so His Law makes me revived, and keeps me behaving properly.
    If I commit sins or fail to live according to His statutes, they help me draw close to Jesus and lead me to repent, so they refresh my soul. God’s commandments see my hidden sins. Sometimes I am fearful that my sin will be revealed, but I trust His mercy and faithfulness and promises.

    I know the reasons why God gave the ten commandments to us through Moses. He wants us to have life - eternal life.

    ReplyDelete