Monday, November 27, 2017

Psalm for Sunday, December 3, 2017


"Lord, let us see your face and we shall be saved."


The Psalm is a prayer to 
restore Israel, at a time 
when the chosen people 
were scattered and had 
withdrawn from God.

The Psalm is well adapted 
to our prayers during Advent.
We are a people scattered 
and separated from God,
and we await His coming.
Our psalmist makes a direct 
appeal to God to shepherd us,
“Shepherd of Israel listen; 
come to save us.”

“Turn again Lord, attend to this vine.”
The Lord tends to His vineyard.
He protects a shoot planted by His 
right hand, the son of man whom God 
himself made strong.  The coming of 
Christ is intended to revive us, restore 
our strength.  As the Psalm says,
“Then we will not withdraw from you;
give us new life, and we will call upon 
your name.”

We all need to be renewed from
time to time when our faith grows 
lukewarm, when our hearts harden 
due to the sins that separate us 
from God.  We, like the Israelites, 
need to beg for God’s mercy, 
to petition the Lord and seek His 
peace, the peace that will guard our 
hearts and minds, and restore us as 
His people.  We are after all,
the work of His hands. (Isaiah 64:7)

Where does our hope for revival 
come from?  It comes from our savior, 
sent by the Lord, our cornerstone.
In Him we are restored.  “Lord of 
hosts restore us; let your face shine 
upon us, that we may be saved.”

Amen 


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  The Psalm says, 'Lord, make us turn to you.' Have you noticed at times when 
we stray off His path how the Lord tugs at each of us so that we return to His ways. 
Give an example from your own experience.

2.  Our psalmist is writing about the scattered people of Israel, but his words may 
apply to each of us in our separation from God.  In what way do the Psalm's verses 
encourage you as we begin the season of Advent?



3 comments:

  1. Rudy H5:11 PM

    The Psalmist paints a picture in Psalm 80. Israel is a vine planted by God which grew and spread out to the Mediterranean Sea on one side and the Euphrates River on the other side. Soon however, the vine began to be broken down and destroyed; eventually it was burned with fire. In our present day, we celebrate mankind. Nothing is too hard for us; nothing is impossible. Anything can be achieved if you just want it enough! Is that true?

    The Psalmist in Psalm 80 knew the truth; if redemption was to come for Israel, it could only come by the hand of God. God uses us to bring about His plans. He instills all of us, with knowledge and abilities to use. Yes, we can make a difference; we must equip ourselves through education (and of course we should not forget to equip ourselves spiritually as well) and/or training so that we can be a part of the progress and development of our world.

    We have a specific purpose established by God. We are responsible to develop that purpose through the abilities and opportunities God has given us. Everyone is important in God's plan whether we are the leader of a nation or a common laborer. All are useful in God's plan of advancing His kingdom in this world.

    We Pray today that we would seek our own destiny through prayer and then, through the innate abilities and help of God, train and use them for the glory of God and the advancement of His kingdom here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord has been tugging at my heart a lot lately, and with good reason. I am in a season of being lukewarm for Him. This often happens to me at the beginning of Advent. My worldly heart and eyes lust after beautifully-decorated Christmas trees glistening in store windows and Oh! the bargains to be had at the mall, if I just time my shopping right. Cyber Monday deals are still running through my head when I try to sleep at night. I don’t delight in being greedy, but I love spending time in trying to find gifts for others. As I do so, the temptation to buy for myself as well, always creeps in. I am soberly reminded of Matthew 6:21 ... "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." By that measure, it would look like I worship new clothes and shiny decor items. How foolish I can be!

    At the same time, when I breathe in the Spirit and allow Him to guide me, I am convicted to use my gifts, including time and material abundance, to honor Him. I have begun taking communion to the sick and homebound and the holy joy that comes from the experience fills me up. I will participate in all the “Adopt a family” projects that I can, alongside my children. And I am asking the Lord to show me how to achieve purity of heart, a heart that lusts after treasures in heaven.

    The Mass readings for Advent are designed to wake us up and embrace the gift of God’s Son. I don’t wish to slumber anymore ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Lord, let us see your face and we shall be saved.”

    We are a people scattered and separated from God due to our sins.
    But still, we await His coming.

    In the meantime, we all need to be renewed when our faith becomes weak
    because of our sins which block our way to God. By His grace He helps me
    to see my own sins more clearly. And He helps me to repent from my wrong doings. He makes me humble and encourages me to ask for His forgiveness so my sins can be forgiven.

    This is a process that works to revive my fellowship with God spiritually.
    This is how to restore my relationship with God. As I feel His presence, I am more willing to obey and do his will. At that point He will make His face shine upon me. My sins are forgiven and washed away clean.
    He will not leave me alone, and He will tug me along and save me and shepherd me.

    Who is my shepherd? The Lord Jesus Christ, My Savior.
    He will revive me and restore me and I will be saved by His grace. He will bring me Salvation.

    And so when the season of Advent begins, first I examine my conscience,
    turn to God, and do good works for the love of God. I pray and worship Him
    for what He has done for me. He will forgive my sins. He will strengthen my faith once again. Praise God! My relationship is restored.

    ReplyDelete