Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Psalm for Sunday, November 5, 2017


Reflections


Psalm 131: 1, 2, 3   (Read)

"In you Lord, I have found my peace."



















Our psalmist David writes about his 
childlike trust in God.  His soul is stilled.   
He is “like a weaned child on its mother’s lap.”

     David is so unlike the priests of Israel 
     described in Sunday’s first reading,  
     who do not listen and are contemptible
     in the Lord’s eyes.  (Malachi 1: 8-10)
     Instead, David listens and submits 
     completely to God in all humility.  
     His heart is not proud, nor are his eyes 
     haughty.  He is so unlike the scribes 
     and the Pharisees described by Jesus 
     in Sunday’s Gospel.   (Matthew 23: 2-6)

     Our psalmist does not busy himself 
     with great matters or concern himself 
     with things beyond his reach. 
     By humbling himself, he will be 
     raised up, as the Gospel promises.
     (Matthew 23:  11-12)
     Our psalmist is in the care of the Lord,
     and he is being cared for as those in 
     the Church of the Thessalonians were – 
     “as a nursing mother cares for her children”
     (1 Thessalonians 2:7)

     There is a message for us, too, in the 
     Psalm’s final verse – David says we are 
     to hope in the Lord, now and forever.  
     That is all we need as believers – 
     the message is simple –  trust in the Lord 
     like a child and learn to do His will.


     Amen



    Discussion Questions for Reflection

      1.   Our psalmist calls for us to be like a child and trust in the Lord unconditionally.
     Give an example of how you are able to do so.
     
      2.   David says he has found his peace in the Lord and that his soul is stilled 
      and quieted.   Speak of how you have been able to find peace.

    

1 comment:

  1. "In you Lord, I have found my peace.”

    Look at the image of the couple praying to the Lord. They put aside for a moment what they were doing to pray. They know they will find peace and contentment in their souls like our psalmist writes about his trust in God.

    Our psalmist listens and submits completely to God in all humility. I have learned from this about humbling myself and trusting God like a child learning to do God’s will. I will gain God’s care and favor and peace of mind and contentment.

    Most of all I have to humble myself because God loves humble people. Jesus says in Matthew 23:12 “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” When I am humble, God allows me to be contented whatever I do. No more restlessness, no agitation, and no greediness.

    I used to overvalue myself while I undervalued others. Now I am free from competing with others. I no longer have to prove myself to others. In this way I have found peace in myself, contentment and satisfaction with myself.

    I have learned from St Augustine: “Our hearts are restless, until they can find rest in you."
    To trust in God is the basis of my peace and contentment.

    ReplyDelete