Monday, March 2, 2015

Psalm for Sunday, March 8, 2015


Reflections      

                       
Psalm 19: 8, 9, 10, 11  (Read)

“The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul."  


This Sunday's Psalm celebrates the law of the Lord, first given to the Israelites when Moses received God's commandments on Mt Sinai. 
(Exodus 20:1-17)

More than a set of rules that we cannot hope to follow, God’s commandments give us wisdom; they ‘rejoice the heart.'  They are 'more desirable than gold, sweeter also than honey.’

Our psalmist David shows us that obeying the law does not prevent us from being happy.   The Psalm 

speaks to us of the joy  that is stirred up in our
hearts when we follow the Lord’s commands. 
“The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart.”

Obeying the law brings much reward.  If we are to imitate

the divine life, everything we need to know is found 
in God’s law.

We may think of God's statutes as something intended 

to control us or restrict us, but as our psalmist explains, 
the law of the Lord is in fact something to be desired, 
because the law gives us wisdom and provides us 
with something we can trust.

God's statutes endure forever.  It is through the verses 

of this Psalm that we know His law is a source of spiritual 
refreshment, a source of joy.  His statutes do not bind us;
they set us free.

Amen


 
Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist says that the ordinances of the Lord are 'sweeter than honey.'   

How can it be that, instead of being harsh, the commandments of the Lord 
are sweet to the taste?  Explain.

2.  Our psalmist says that the commandments of the Lord are a source of joy --

they 'rejoice the heart.'   Tell about how obeying the commandments can be a 
source of joy in your life.



3 comments:

  1. J Kim6:35 AM

    Following rules isn't my forte. For example, I may adhere to a diet for a little while and aspire to achieve the health and fitness goals promised. However, I end up modifying. I allow a little coffee. I allow a little chocolate. Bit by bit, my little modifications add up to a whole other eating plan that doesn't lead me to my desired weight.

    It is similar in our quest to live righteously. The commandments of the Lord are His laws. If we abide by them, we will be happy, fulfilled people. We try our best. And then those pesky modifications slip in.

    We tell ourselves that a little white lie won't hurt or that we can miss Mass and God will understand (which He will, but why make it a habit?) We can wallow in self-pity or covet, covet our neighbor's material blessings.

    Pretty soon, we are living by a whole other set of rules that we've created. And we become very unhappy. To recognize our sin and lost ways, is to smell the honey. To correct ourselves and feel the joy and peace that ensues, is to taste that which is "sweeter than honey."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 10 commandments, if followed, will keep us out of trouble and enable all of us to have a clear conscience. You’re right, they certainly do not prevent us from having a joyful life……quite the contrary. With the 10 commandments, we have goal posts to live our life by, and having a focus is certainly better than not having a direction. Look at all the unhappiness in the lives of the Hollywood types, and with the rich and famous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's Laws were given to us through Moses on Mt Sinai. Our psalmist speaks to us that obeying God's Laws brings much reward and the decree of Lord is trustworthy, giving wisdom. The command of the Lord is clear, enlightening the eye.

    Who can obey fully God's 10 commandments? God knows well that it is almost impossible for human beings to obey all His commandments. He knows His laws are good for our spiritual life and well being because His precepts are a guiding light to our feet, leading us to the divine life.

    His laws are truly like a mirror to me to reflect my conscience. They make me feel guilty whenever I do wrong. If I repent, our Lord forgives me and so His commandments do not bind me. Instead they set me free.

    I am able to taste the joy in my life by trying to obey the Lord's commands within my limits. Sometimes I feel to obey His laws are beyond my limits and my power. But He'll give me always strength and wisdom to guide me to His eternal home safely by observing his Laws.

    ReplyDelete