Monday, February 16, 2015

Psalm for Sunday, February 22, 2015

 
Reflections

 
Psalm 25:  4-5, 6-7, 8-9  (Read)

“Your ways, O Lord, are love and truth  

to those who keep your covenant."

                                                                                
This Sunday’s Psalm is a prayer for forgiveness
and guidance, a good way to begin the season 

of Lent.  Our psalmist David recalls the covenant 
the Lord made with Noah (Genesis 9:8-15), and 
David writes, “Remember your compassion and love, O Lord, for they are ages old.”

Later in the psalm David affirms, “Good and 

upright is the Lord, thus He shows sinners the way.”  
Who else could lead us out of the pit of our sins but 
God’s Son, the righteous one who suffered for us, 
the unrighteous ones, as St Peter reminds us in this 
Sunday's 2nd reading. (1 Peter 3:18-22)  Peter says 
Baptism doesn’t remove the dirt from our bodies; 
it doesn’t remove our sinful nature.  But it does allow us 
to receive the Holy Spirit within us, because without 
the Spirit, we are powerless against the Devil.

We are blessed to have a God who does not disregard us.
On the contrary, He is a caring, compassionate God,
willing to humble himself to share in our humanity,
so that we might come to share in His divinity.  Who else
would have such regard for sinners, for believers who
disobey him?  It is He who encourages us when our 

tongues confess – “The Lord guides the humble rightly,
and teaches the humble His way.”

In this Sunday's Gospel, our Lord Jesus tells us what we 

are to do as we prepare for the most important season 
of the year, “Repent and believe in the Gospel.”  (Mark 1:15)
And in response we join with our psalmist and say,
“You are God my Savior.”
 

 Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection 

1.  Our Psalm speaks of being taught by the Lord
("Teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me;
He teaches the humble His way.")   Are you a good student of the Lord?
Tell about what you have learned or are learning from the Lord.

2.  According to our psalmist, the Lord "shows sinners the way."
As we enter the season of Lent, we could all use some guidance
and help as we strive for repentance and to be bolder in our faith.
Explain what you will do during Lent to become a more obedient
Christian and a better witness for your faith.




3 comments:

  1. J Kim8:41 PM

    Ash Wednesday Mass had the usual distractions... crying babies, fidgety teens, and a woman with too much perfume. I tried so hard to hear the message -- something inspirational for my Lenten journey this year. I didn't grasp it. As the Lord would work it, I found myself walking up to the Adoration Chapel afterward. There, in silence, through my tears, I found it. I am being led to revisit the Rosary this Lent.

    I have prayed the rosary many times in my life but it has slipped out of my regular prayers. I know that it will be even more powerful if I can get my family to join me. The Blessed Mother holds such huge favor with God, that her pleas on our behalf are surely heard. How did I rediscover this precious gift? I repeat my phrase above: I sat "in silence." Mother Teresa said, "We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence." I guess that would be the second part of my Lenten goal: more silence. In this way, I can hear more closely what the Lord is trying to say to me.

    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the season of Lent begins, these two verses convict me, "You are dust and to dust you shall return," and "Repent and believe in the Gospel."

    I think of how to reform my way of life and the habits I have, shopping and watching Korean Drama. I want to walk with Jesus as He goes to the desert so I can experience how to resist the temptation of worldly desires.

    Self sacrifice? To die to sin? Fasting? Temptation? Alms giving to the Poor? Meditation on Words and Prayers? Confession with a contrite heart? Jesus showed us how to resist Satan when in the desert. He shows sinners the way.

    My Lenten goal is to cut down watching Korean TV programs and impulsive shopping. It will surely be challenging for me to change my old life-style habits. I used to stay up late at night watching Korean dramas until 12:00 Midnight. I know something is wrong in my habitual behavior. I am determined to cut down watching TV during Lent.

    To follow Jesus's footsteps I have to learn how to give up my cravings. Through the gift of confession and prayer I can do it because He will give me the strength to overcome bad habits. I can be a more obedient Christian and better witness for my faith if I walk in love with a caring heart instead of ignoring, judging or rejecting my neighbors. He will make me know His way and guide me in His paths because He loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife Carol is giving up a whole laundry list of good things, like chocolate, wine etc. Tim has decided to be proactive, and to do more positive things…….this week I contacted 3 faith centers to hear from them what Interfaith Community Services could do to improve our service to them and the needy in this community. I have also set up a food drive for Interfaith, on Saturday, March 7th. A little bit here, and a little bit there. We are so fortunate to live in this country. Thank God for our many, many blessings.

    ReplyDelete