Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Psalm for Sunday, January 19, 2014


Reflections

 
Psalm 40:  2, 4, 7-8, 8-9, 10 (Read)

“He put a new song into my mouth.”

Our psalmist David waits for the Lord,
to reach out to Him, to make God hear his cry.
We are like that.  We are weak on our own;
we need the Lord’s strength to be delivered
from our sinful ways.

As the prophet Isaiah says, God is our
strength (1st reading).  We put our trust
in Him.  Our God is an awesome God.
“Many shall look on [our God] in awe
and trust in the Lord.” We are called to be
God's holy people, as St Paul tells us (2nd reading).

Our psalmist says, “He put a new song into
my mouth.” In response we sing a new song
unto the Lord.  For us, having waited for
the Lord, it is no longer the same old tune
or the same old us.   We are in fact a new
creation, singing out the good news.
Where does our joyful spirit come from?
It comes from the Lord, and we are called
to share what He has given us and to do
His will.

We are called to follow Christ.
Obedience isn’t an unpleasant chore for us;
instead, as the Psalm tells us,
“To do your will is my delight.”

Amen


 

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  The Psalm Response this Sunday is, "Here am I, Lord;
I come to do your will."  Speak of how you discern God's will
in your life, and tell how you are carrying out what God wants 

you to do. 

2.  Our psalmist David says, "God put a new song into my mouth."  

Have you too had a conversion in your walk with the Lord?  Tell of 
your own experience.



2 comments:

  1. We need to acknowledge that "Our God is an awesome God," and do so with a joyful spirit. Nobody likes a person who is constantly whining and complaining and finding fault, and that includes God Himself. There is much joy to be found, doing God's work. Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My spirit wishes to say, "Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will; your servant is listening." I want to be submissive and carry out what God wants me to do. But I realized that my habitual and accidental sins I committed are sometimes in the way of God's calling to me. Also, I could not hear Him clearly unless He gives me the wisdom to discern His will in my life, or if I don't give Him my time first thing in the morning , read His Word and be still with Him.

    Most of the time, through His Word, I discern His will for me. When I feel close to Him spiritually I sing a new song, " To do your will is my delight." Once again my conversion in my walk with Jesus will be to focus on His words and to have His grace -- goodness, a joyful and forgiving heart that says, "Love does no evil to a neighbor."

    ReplyDelete