Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Psalm for Sunday, September 1, 2013


Reflections                                             

Psalm 68:  4-5, 6-7, 10-11
 
“God, in your goodness, you
have made a home for the poor.”

Our psalmist sings a tribute to our
sovereign God, who makes a home
for the poor in spirit.   Though we may
be forsaken, or neglected, or alone with
no one to care for us, our God prepares
a home for us.   It is as Jesus tells us,
“In my Father’s house there are many
dwelling places.  If there were not,
would I have told you that I am going
to prepare a place for you?” (John 14:2)

Being poor in spirit implies that one is humble,
and does not exalt himself.    In our Gospel this
Sunday, our Savior reminds the Pharisee within us
that the one who humbles himself will be exalted.

And in our 1st reading from Sirach, we are told to
conduct our affairs with humility, “Humble yourself
the more, the greater you are, and you will find
favor with God.”

Our psalmist assures us sinners too that God
will lead us out of whatever sinful habit is holding
us captive.  “He leads forth the prisoners to prosperity.”
Like the 'bountiful rain' showered down upon us,
God restores us and provides for our needs.

For all that God does for us, as the Psalm says,
we are to “Sing to God, chant praise to His name!”

Amen




Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist speaks of a 'bountiful rain'
from the Lord, showering down upon us. 
Tell of how you have been restored by God's
living water when you were parched and thirsty
for His presence.

2.  The Psalm says that God 'leads forth prisoners
to prosperity.'   Have you been set free from sinful
habits or worldly attachments by the Lord's healing
hand?   Explain.



 

2 comments:

  1. As I read this week's post for Psalm 68, for Sunday Sept 1st, I see "let us be poor in spirit....let us be humble....don't exhalt yourself.....and you will find favor with God.....and God will restore us and provide for our needs".........very, very powerful, and like a direct calling to all of us who have so very much. We all have so much to be thankful for ....our health, wonderful spouses, family, grandchildren, relatives and friends, a comfortable house, cars, and all the wealth to meet our needs, and most of our wants.

    Dear God, let us be humble and appreciative for all that we have. If we can put others before ourselves, we will find ourselves in a bountiful rain of blessings showering down on us from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the time of my spiritual dryness - sadness, sickness and depression, my soul was thirsty and longing for God's presence. I was a bit in a state of void. I have heard God's words, "Humble yourself the more, the greater you are, and you'll find favor with God," and "God prepares an individual place for us, even though we may be forsaken." Those messages above gave me hope and encouragement for my parched soul.

    At this special moment of my life, I do not feel His divine Presence and I miss His loving Presence within me. I'm sure He'll restore and renew my spirit again. God gives me a word of wisdom speaking to me now, "Go to confession and Reconcile with me. With a pure heart you'll meet me." Thank you God, I'll chant praise your name forever.

    ReplyDelete