Monday, February 11, 2013

Psalm for Sunday, February 17, 2013


Reflections


Psalm 91: 1-2, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15

 

“Whoever clings to me I will
deliver; whoever knows my
name, I will set on high.”

 

This is a Psalm about God’s
protection of the faithful --
it applies to us who place ourselves
under His protection along the
path of life.  The psalmist addresses
us, “You who dwell in the shelter
of the Most  High, say to the Lord,
'My refuge and fortress.”

 

Who could be in greater distress
than the Israelites (1st reading),
under the oppression of the Egyptians.
What the Lord did for them He is
prepared to do for us.  “He brought us
out of Egypt with his strong hand
and outstretched arm.”

 

In today's Gospel even the devil
respects the power of God and His
commitment to our security, when
he tempts Jesus with this verse of
the Psalm, “For God commands the
angels to guard you in all your ways.”

 

And how do we obtain this level of
protection amidst the snares along
the way and the 'terror of the night?'
We call upon the Lord, and we trust
in Him to deliver us.  “Whoever clings
to me I will deliver; whoever knows my
name I will set on high.”

 

St. Paul has a similar message in
Romans, “Everyone who calls on the
name of the Lord will be saved.”
The psalmist agrees and concludes,
“All who call upon me I will answer;
I will be with him in distress; I will
deliver and give him honor.”
What could be more reassuring than that?

 

Amen 


Discussion Questions for Reflection
 
1.  Our psalmist speaks about God's angels
guarding us in all our ways.   Give an example of
how you have been borne up upon the hands of
angels and given power physically or spiritually
to trample down the devil and his minions.

2.  In the Psalm God says that if we cling to Him,
He will deliver us and set us on high.   Tell of what
it means to you to 'cling' to the Lord, and having done so,
how have you been made free from evil that threatens you.



3 comments:


  1. This is a very powerful Psalm re God's protection of the faithful. St. Paul says, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." It doesn't get much more powerful than that. And, we have a choice, to do it or not. The fact that we are writing, and responding to this blog indicates the very positive choice we are making.

    "God's angels guard us in all our ways." How have I felt this? When lost in a foreign country, I've had God's angels step up and show me the way. I've been Blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment on Q#1 – One of the prayers that I say daily is to St Michael, the Archangel – "Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in this day of battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host - by the Power of God - cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits, that roam about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen. Oh Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us. Oh Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us. St Joseph, pray for us."
    Along with that prayer, I thank my own guardian angel for keeping me safe from harm. There have been so many times throughout my life that I know that I was protected because my guardian angel was there loving me and keeping me out of harm’s way – and not only in my personal life but in the lives of my family as well!

    I’ve even found that there is a Catholic ministry in Poland that publishes a magazine titled “The Angels: Messengers from a loving God” (www.holyangelsmagazine.com) that helps people form a closer relationship with these Heavenly beings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adriana5:51 PM

    I'm so very grateful to The Lord because my petitions are always answered, specially at critical times. “For you have heard the words of my mouth.”

    He is always there to hear me and help me; He has NEVER forsaken me and for that I'm more than grateful to Him.

    I feel so safe knowing that He is always with me not only during difficult times, but just as you say that our psalmist reminds us -- all God has to do is stretch out his right hand, and we will be saved. Which reminds me of Isaiah 41:10, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

    ReplyDelete